Saturday, September 4, 2010

PIAA Slim Sport Horn


The new PIAA slim horn in the original package
The emission canister 'hole'
The original emission bracket
Bracket and horn attachment
All done! Close up...
More close up...
I can't even tell there is a new horn installed!

 PIAA new slim sport horn
Originally uploaded by Speedy Chung
It is about time to upgrade one of the life saving tool on the bike - the horn. Just like any other typical stock horn, the single horn on SF is weak, and it sounds like a toy. The new PIAA slim sport horn unit is bigger and much louder. The best thing about it is that it does sound like a car horn - which will for sure get driver's attention.

I removed the PIAA sticker before the installation. I 'hide' the new horn at where the useless emission canister left behind; and the new horn is so slim that the hole almost looks too big for it. I reused all the screws, rubber spacers, and the canister bracket to hold the mew horn, and it worked great fitted well after some adjustment. I took my time and it is about 2 hours to finish up the job including remove the PIAA sticker and spring paint the unit with bracket. What took me the longest time is the emission bracket and the horn bracket. I have to find a right spot to bend the emission bracket to ensure it has enough separation between the engine and the horn (no one like melting horn). Once that's is done, I have to cut and relocate the hole on the horn bracket to make sure it fits into the slot and to the emission bracket without hitting any other hard parts. Make sure reuse the rubber spacer to reduce the amount of engine vibration to the horn. The rest of the modification is piece of cake...

It sounds loud and great (will provide video later - it is 2:00am now and I really don't think it is a good time to shot horn video LOL) and looks great! Can't wait to test ride it...

No comments:

Post a Comment