Thursday, April 21, 2011

Back in business!

Today is the day! Finally have time to ride her - she was still 0 mile this morning. Went to Catalyst Reaction to have suspension tuned (once again, it was day & night different!); stopped at Half Moon bay for lunch, and met a few riding buddies at the junction of Redwood and Pinehurst. It was a great day for sure....

Let's talk about the bike and all the major modifications. I was surprised everything worked relatively well; consider the fact that I had to deal with multiple changes in one ride (new mirrors, new clutch slave, new leaver position, rearsets..so and so). I brought some tools with me for possible 'on-the-go' adjustment; end up I didn't touch any of them. Following is a detail breakdowns and reviews:

Rearsets &amp & Riding Postion
It works surprisingly well! I was pretty impressed by this cheap rearsets. Pegs are SUPER GRIPPY, and both the shift paddle and rear break paddle works well. Pegs were set to the lowest and most forward; while some other user complain it's too aggressive; it works really well for me. What I like the most is hanging out at curve - a lot easier without worry slipping off from the bike. But... it is not exactly perfect. With my leg positioned at about 1" rearward, it forced my upper body move forward; the gap between my man's part and gas tank was much narrower - as you can imagine, there were a few painful moments during the ride. I guess I will have to get use to it.

Custom Cut CF Heat Shield & Heat Issue
It works really well conjunction with the tiny boot guard. With about 15% of CF removed from the original shape, I didn't notice any increase in heat level.

STM 30mm Slave Cylinder & Clutch
Work fairly well with Motowheels' SS spring set. Odd thing was the clutch pull was lighter with the stock clutch leaver. Once I replaced the stock leaver with ASV C5, somehow the pull was heavier - not as bad as the complete stock setting; but for sure I noticed the different. The new clutch somehow didn't get the linear feel that I was looking for, and unlike my first SF, it's harder to find Neutral too... Not sure it's because of the slave or just simply the bike was still fairly new.

ECU & Exhaust 
The new SF is a lot more sluggish at lower RPM! It's really surprised me - it has the exact same setting like my old bike; but somehow the 3500 RPM flat spot (in my case it's at 2500RPM) seems to be a lot more noticeable. I was hardly able to do a single smooth launch. Also, the Akrapovic carbon fiber slip-on pops a lot more - basically it pops everything time I down shift at speed. I just hope the back-fire won't do a lot of damage. I will for sure send the ECU out for reflash ASAP- hopefully it will improve the fueling issue.

Throttle Input
The free-play was a bit too much - it's always take a moment before the SF-S responds! Need to adjust the cable for sure...

In general all the modifications are working well; but for sure more fine tunings, especially related to ECU, are coming ahead. Will keep you guys posted for sure. Stay tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment