Sunday, April 10, 2011

New rearsets and custom cut heat shield

New rearsets and custom cut heat shield by Speedy Chung
All done! 

View without heel guard...
Close but clear off...
Quite a bit of material removed from the original shape
Work in progress

New rearsets and custom cut heat shield, a photo by Speedy Chung on Flickr.
For the past 2 weeks I have been working on my new SF-S and try to bring her to the point where I wanted. On top of what I have done on the older SF-S, this time I decided to add a new rearsets. There isn't much of the options out there (mainly Sato Racing and Rizoma), and the worst part is none of them offers a good heat shield solution - in some extreme case, the hot pipe melts the right boot!!! Not to mention it costs well over $600. So after some research on the Ducati MS, The 'Gas-cap-dude' quickly got my attention. They located in Fremont, and selling rearsets by Ebay. I met with the seller, and after inspected the item in person, I decided to give it a try. For $230, the quality was surprisingly good! I would recommend to anyone who don't want to spend ton of $ on rearsets...

The installation went smoothly until the right side. Just like any other other lower-priced rearsets out there, it hits the heat shield - which I know it will happen anyway. Some SF-S owner decided not to use the stock heat shield at all; but after a few sitting tests, I decided leave both heat shield and heel guard on. So it's time to do some customizations. After playing with rotary tool in on my Classic, I'm pretty familiar with the tool. The operation when nicely, and I have custom cut CF shield ready for refinish in about 30mins. It looks and works MUCH better now...

Stay tune for field test! =)

2 comments:

  1. Looks good, I've been looking for something like this too! Thanks for your input ,helps a lot to make a decision about getting my rearsets;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem man. after almost 500mile of actually ride; I would give it a 8 out of 10. Position fit me well, especially in fast aggressive twisties ride - it give me a lot of confidence at turns. The draw back is at freeway 'relax' ride - the pegs push my upper body forward and I have to push myself back. But for $230... shouldn't complain LOL.

    ReplyDelete