Sunday, June 6, 2010

Flat spot at 3500rpm

I guess it is nothing new to the Ducati fighter's owners out there - but today I finally got a taste of it. This morning I was riding on some of my local back roads, and things were going really well with my SF-S. Generally I tried to keep my engine speed above 4000 rpm to avoid the less-than-perfect engine performance; partly I want to listen to my newly installed pipes also (it was awesome btw).  On the way back home, I was on Pinehurst road with a series of tight S turns and hair-pin curves traveling steep up hill. I had to put my bike at 2nd and lean pretty low at about 25mph to make it through. By the time I made it to the exit, rolled my throttle, and guess what - nothing happened - right at around 3500 rpm! Felt like hitting a wall. It happened when I was in mid-to-late turn, the sudden lost of power even at a split second affected my exit line. I was traveling uphill, meaning the side-effect of the lost of power really taking a toll on me - to make the matter worse, there were 3 cars traveling on the opposition direction! I was getting REALLY close to the double yellow - not exactly a close call yet; but for sure I don't feel comfortable at all.

So the lesson to learn: Use first gear as much as I can! Keep the rpm up... and smooth the bike by even lighter throttle input. I guess it is time to do more research on how flashing the stock ECU and put on some custom map... Tuneboy here I come!

For more discussion, check out the helpful posts on Ducati MS.

1 comment:

  1. use a 14t front sprocket!it will help smooth that problem VERY much...

    ReplyDelete