Thursday, June 3, 2010

My first twisty ride - and I want more!

Finally I was able to spend some quality time with my new bike. I headed down from Redwood road to Palomares, turned around, took Pinehurst Road and Bear Creek Road home - total of 100 miles of local back roads (about 20% freeway, 10% city, and 70% twisty). On the freeway, the Streetfighter came alive - smooth engine with great power. Once it is on twisty, the main thing I notice was the engine respond. It got a bit rough every time it drop close or below 4500 RPM. Typical Ducati 2V engine has 3000RPM 'limit', and the SF is much higher. In exchange of smooth engine respond, I tried to keep it at 4k to 6k RPM - end up I used 2nd gear for most of the backroads. A bit different from my Sport Classic; but it was actually really fun for this big bike on tight twisty turns -a lot of engine brake at entry point, and a lot of torque on exit - I just need to be really easy on the throttle input. The only complain is the foot pegs - they are new and way too smooth and slippy. Also since I was used to Woodcraft's crazy high racing rearsets position on the Sport 1000, I felt like my toe will get stuck at mid aggressive turn. It is still a new bike to me, so I didn't really pushing it hard; but it was enough to cut the chicken strips down from 1.5" to less than 1/4" in just single twisty run. Can't wait to do few more round this weekend.

BTW, I have just ordered a few key after-market parts. They should all arrive sometime next week. Stay tune for mod update!

No comments:

Post a Comment